Friday, January 15, 2010

Knot in shoulder - deep tissue massage today - tense muscles, tired feet?

Well, yesterday I first got a knot in my shoulder (right where the shoulder meets the neck), and it got worse today so I decided to get a massage to make it feel better. Well, I haven't had a massage in a year and a half and the lady who worked on me convinced me to go deep tissue and use the hot stones. I loved the hot stones, but the deep tissue hurt at times (at times, I had to ask her to soften up). She also said I have tense muscles for my age (I am only 23), and tired feet? What exactly are tense muscles and tired feet? And in the area where I felt the knot (or maybe a pinched nerve, who knows), she felt nothing but explained how sometimes you can feel pain elsewhere then where you are truly hurt. but she also said I had plenty of knots on my right side, which is actually where the deep tissue hurt the most. So as of right now I am sort of sore, and who knows when I wake up in the morning. Any advice, and once again what is this with tense muscles and tired feet? ThanksKnot in shoulder - deep tissue massage today - tense muscles, tired feet?
You need to drink a bit of extra water (3 big glasses per day) and use cold/ice packs on the area (NOT heat!!!) from the freezer and cool it down once or twice.


A deep massage is a very good place to start. You can be sore after it just like any therapy that actually has a chance of helping you.


See a chiropractor if it doesn't go away (get one from an insurance list - not the biggest yellow pages ad). Best luck.


You should probably go back to her a couple times, once a week or so - she probably told you that.Knot in shoulder - deep tissue massage today - tense muscles, tired feet?
If you have a lot of tension then a massage may hurt a bit. If you feel tender afterwards that is normal. Usually that only takes 1-2days to fade. If it is painfull longer consult massuer or doctor. Taking a bath with epsom salts will help draw out lactic acid (cause of 'soreness' in muscles after massage or exercise). If you find you still feel tight, use hot wet towels (flannels are good) on area. You can heat wet towel in microwave for 30 secs. Putting a few drops of rosemary essential oil in bath or on wet towels can be good too.
I have the exact same problems - then I discovered a chinese doctor who uses accupuncture and massage - the results so far are wonderful. You may find that you have a problem with posture that causes the muscles to knot so I would suggest that you may benefit from either a yoga or pilates class to keep those muscles stretched.
Check your pillow and materess sleeping wrong can cause all kinds of problems

No comments:

Post a Comment