Friday, January 15, 2010

Should I exercise a day after a deep tissue massage?

Yesterday I had my first deep tissue massage. I went in to get one because it was recommended by a friend who is a personal trainer. I was experiencing a lot of tightness in my shoulder which was contracting down into my pectorals which just plain ached like hell.





This was my first deep tissue massage, and as such, I was kind of shocked at how naturally tense I was. She did the full fledged experience, except she didn't do anything on my legs, as I requested for my first time.





Next day: I feel just fine, maybe a little soreness, however, when I touch my back to virtually anything, it feels as if the entire back is bruised up, without any visual indications of bruising. Movement does not bother me. I want to know whether or not I can continue going to the gym to exercise with such exercises as swimming, running, push ups, sit ups and pull ups without somehow creating a physical setback from what the masseur did.





NOTES:


- I am drinking lots of water, typically 6-8 16oz glasses a day.


- I naturally eat a diet high in protein, around 150-200g of protein per day.





Thanks!Should I exercise a day after a deep tissue massage?
I am a fitness advocate also and used to work at a spa. I asked the very same question. The answer I received was that it really is up to you. If you do go back to working out right away you will probably stiffen up quicker but you will do no harm and the soreness is normal from a deep tissue massage.Should I exercise a day after a deep tissue massage?
you can but you may be a little sore during and afterwards
yes. just make sure you stretch
  • bebo
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment